Thursday, February 02, 2006

Designers Who Are Better Than Me

A look through the web-o-sphere at some local and not so local designers who have inspired me, made me think, made me jealous, made me mad or are just infuriatingly better than me.

First off the block is local Adelaide firm Black Squid. Established by Director Derek Butler, they've been producing some excellent work for quite a few years now. Derek is obviously pretty passionate about design, he's served a few terms on the local Australian Graphic Design Association local committee, producing some nice event calendars and promotional materials as well. The quality of Black Squid's design output has been complimented in recent years with the inclusion of designer/illustrator/artist Melanie Terrett to the team. Melanie studied a year behind me at high school and university, though I've only spoken to her on a couple of occasions, I tried to get my old employers to hire her at one point, but it wasn't to be, their loss is Black Squid's gain I guess. She brings a beautiful illustrative aesthetic to whatever she designs, as seen in Black Squid's website folio. I think Derek's own modern clean style is a nice counterpoint. I particularly like the whimsy of the identity they worked on for TV program 'My Restaurant Rules' winners 'The Greedy Goose. The restaurant interior is also decorated with some of Melanie's paintings.

Black Squid's website is nothing splashy, it Abley demonstrates their capabilities in a professional, easygoing manner and is written in a fun style. They all seem like they're nice enough people, working in a fun and invigorating environment. Check out the site for some graphic goodness (make sure you look in the 'experimental' section as well).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home